Switching From Commercial Deodorant To Natural Deodorant by Tamara Qaddoumi
Switching from commercial to natural deodorant is a must if you want to go all-natural with your skin-care! Attempting to switch however without really knowing what is going to happen might leave you stinky and frustrated. Health coach, Tamara Qaddoumi, is here to explain from her personal experience why she made the switch and how you can go about it with the least frustrations possible!
Why is commercial deodorant bad for you?
Commercial deodorant contains a preservative called methylparaben. Parabens are often added to products to give them a longer shelf life and prevent the growth of mold and other bacteria. Want to know a not-so-fun fact? It takes 15 mins for the chemicals to be absorbed into your bloodstream. So imagine that you’ve been avoiding preservatives in your food only to find them in your cosmetics. These preservatives disrupt the functions of your endocrine cycle or the glands that secret your hormones which may lead to a disruption in period cycles or infertility. They cause dryness and discoloration of the skin also.
It doesn’t stop here. Antiperspirants contain high levels of metal that have been linked to Alzheimer’s, loss of balance, loss of sense of smell, mood swings leaning towards depression rather than a happy burst of emotions, or as mentioned previously, fertility issues. In extreme cases, you can suffer from metal poisoning that may cause sudden death.
Your body is supposed to sweat to let all the toxins out. Some people experience lump growth under their armpits due to the accumulation of bacteria because antiperspirants clog up their pores. Therefore, harmful bacteria stay inside your body. This may lead to breast cancer in men and women.
What are the benefits of natural deodorant?
If we break down the word deodorant, we get “de-odorant”: a product that decreases odor. We’re off to a good start! Here are 5 benefits to natural deodorant to convince you to make the switch now:
- It allows you to sweat and eliminate unwanted odor without inflicting harm.
- It naturally stops body odor. Natural deodorant mixes with bacteria on your skin responsible for body odor to neutralize the smell. After some time, the deodorant will minimize this bacteria, and you will have better-smelling sweat.
- It is skin-friendly. Natural deodorant moisturizes the skin because it often contains plant-based ingredients that are natural moisturizers.
- It relieves skin irritation. Due to its plant-based ingredients, natural deodorant helps relieves any rashes or allergic reactions that often flair up when using commercial deodorant.
- It is eco-friendly. Natural deodorant is, as the name suggests, made from natural ingredients. It does not harm nature by releasing gas into the air like commercial spray-on deodorant. It is also plastic-free!
Tips to help with the detox period
When you’re switching from commercial to natural deodorant, you’re going to go through some not rough, but smelly time. It’s expected, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t do anything about it. The transition can last up to 4 weeks depending on your body chemistry. Let us help you out!
- Get sweaty! Yes, on purpose. Regular exercise promotes the healthy removal of toxins, and the more you sweat, the faster you get those toxins out. After you sweat, wash with natural antibacterial soap. Take hot baths to open up your pores and flush the toxins out.
- Watch your diet. If it has already been weeks and you are still smelling bad, then you have to take a closer look at the food you are eating because you may be eating a lot of processed and unhealthy food. In that case, time to up your intake of leafy greens and purified water.
- Take care of your rashes and redness. Some armpits are sensitive to ingredients in natural deodorant even if they are 100% natural. So spray some natural toner or spritz on the area to calm down any inflammation after shaving or waxing. When applying the deodorant, dab instead of swiping. You can also apply some natural starch (like cornstarch) to help absorb some moisture.
- Not all holistic deodorants work for everyone, every single body is different, and you have to try different brands. So if one brand didn't work for you, pass it on to a friend or a family member, you will be doing them a big favor.
Directions to use the natural deodorant Aroma Sense
Step 1 - Shower.
Step 2 - Dry your under armpits completely.
Step 3 - Apply your natural deodorant (spray or cream).
Transitioning to natural deodorant is not scary and you shouldn’t make it harder for yourself. Take care of your body while transitioning and you won’t go back to commercial deodorant ever again.
If you have any questions about this subject, feel free to reach out!