Beetroot Berry Bowl
Serving: Serves 1
Sneaking one of my favorite sweet veggies into a delicious and heartwarming breakfast bowl. It’s a keeper!
1 cup water
½ steel cut oats or ¼ steel cut oats and ¼ buckwheat groats
¾ cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
1 small ripe banana
½ cooked beetroot (to be shredded)
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (optional)
The Night Before:
Soak your oats overnight. This will make them more digestible and easier to cook the next day!
*if you’re using buckwheat too, don’t soak them.
The Next Day:
1. If using frozen berries make sure to start by defrosting them. This will take around 30 mins or so.
2. Bring 1 cup of water with a pinch of salt to boil.
3. Add oats (and buckwheat groats if using) and leave for 10 mins on low-medium heat while occasionally stirring.
Meanwhile, shred the cooked beetroot and mash the banana.
4. Around 10 mins in add, add the beetroot, mixed berries and banana. Stir for an additional 3 to 5 mins or until water is completely gone.
NB: if you feel like it’s hard to stir when you add the fruits and beetroot in, add a splash of water to help.
5. Turn heat off and leave in for another 2 mins. You can add your flaxseed at this stage if you’re using it.
Serve with favorite toppings and enjoy this warm and nutrient-dense breakfast!
Christina Zakhem | @balancewithtina
Christina is a Holistic Health and Nutrition Coach as well as a Culinary Wellness Professional in training. She completed Health Coach certification at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition where she was equipped with the latest cutting-edge knowledge in holistic nutrition and lifestyle coaching. Her approach to health embodies different aspects of life that impact ones health with an emphasis on bio-individual needs. She co-creates with her clients individualized programs to help them reach their health and wellness goals and create long lasting lifestyle changes. Christina also specializes in plant-based cooking and pastry work and is pursuing a culinary certification in that.