Middle Eastern Spiced Salad
Preparation time: 15 min
Here comes a recipe full of plant-based food. Very fresh and summery. My favorite element is the guacamole so make sure you get a spoonful of that magical green puree :)
Quinoa and lentils are the core of this bowl. They are also a staple food so make sure you stock up on them as they work with a variety of salads and grilled vegetables. They are a good source of protein and lean carbs.
Feel free to add grilled chicken or some smoked salmon to the salad; both go perfectly with the ingredients.
Before we start, you will notice I suggest you cook a few ingredients in quantities that serve beyond 1 platter. This will help you save time anytime you want to assemble a salad! So, let’s start!
- Mix of greens: baby spinach, arugula, kale, spinach
- 2 small cucumbers cut into thin circles
- 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Grain mix: 4 tbsp of cooked quinoa + 4 tbsp of cooked lentils + dash of cumin + 1/2 tsp sumac
- 4 tbsp guacamole
- Protein add-ons: Chicken marinated in yoghurt, lemon zest, garlic and zaatar then grilled to perfection! Or smoked salmon!
- Lemon and mint dressing: 2 tbsp lemon juice + 3 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp apple vinegar + 1/4 tsp dried mint + salt & pepper + dash of lemon zest (optional)
This is for 2 salad servings. So use the first half to prepare this salad, and store the rest in the fridge for up to 2 days. I suggest, that for the second round, you add salt and pepper.
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and cut onto chunks
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped (you will need the onion to be red for a better taste)
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander + additional sprinkle
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Generous sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a mortar, place the onions, lemon juice and salt together. With a pestle, press until the onions become so tender
- Add the avocado chunks and continue pressing until you get a smooth paste
- Add the coriander and black pepper. Mix with a spoon and taste!
- Start by cooking the quinoa. You can cook 1/2 cup and use it for 2-3 salads.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of quinoa mix: white and red
- Rinse the quinoa with water then drain
- Transfer to a pot with 1 cup of water. Cover and let it boil on medium heat
- Once it boils, lower the heat and remove the cover
- Stir every few seconds. Close the heat once all the water has been absorbed
- Once cooled down, store in airtight container and put in fridge
- Repeat the same process for the lentils which you can also soak overnight or for a couple of hours before cooking them
- Prepare the grain mix and add to it the tomatoes
- In a big bowl, place the greens with the cucumber. Add next to them the grain+ tomato mix and 4 tbsp of guacamole
- Drizzle the lemon and mint dressing