Dark Chocolate Chia Mousse
4 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup coconut milk
6 dates if khudari, 3 if medjool, pitted
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Zest of half an orange
Optional: ¼ cup buckwheat groats or for an extra crunch
- Put chia seeds into a bowl with the milk and stir to coat, (if you’re using buckwheat, add them in there too).
- Cover and leave for 2 hours or overnight preferably to allow time for the seeds to soak the liquid. If you’re leaving them overnight, put them in a mason jar and close the lid.
- Once the seeds have finished soaking, put the chia mix in a blender and blend for 15 seconds. This step is necessary for a mouse like texture!
- Add the dates, cacao powder, salt, cinnamon and blend again until smooth.
- Finally, add the orange zest and blend again.
The result will be a smooth and silky mousse with a little crunch if you’ve added the buckwheat in! Add in your toppings and savor every spoonful!
Christina Zakhem | @balancewithtina
Christina is a Holistic Health and Nutrition Coach as well as a Culinary Wellness Professional in training. She completed Health Coach certification at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition where she was equipped with the latest cutting-edge knowledge in holistic nutrition and lifestyle coaching. Her approach to health embodies different aspects of life that impact ones health with an emphasis on bio-individual needs. She co-creates with her clients individualized programs to help them reach their health and wellness goals and create long lasting lifestyle changes. Christina also specializes in plant-based cooking and pastry work and is pursuing a culinary certification in that.