6 Tips to Lead a Healthier Life
Sometimes big changes start with small shifts. Whether you're trying to eat better, get more active or simply feel happier, a healthier you doesn’t have to mean a total lifestyle makeover!
Here are 6 tips to help you lead a healthier life!
1. Eat ‘primal foods’ The simpler the better! A ‘primal’ diet made up of whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, as well as meat, chicken, fish and eggs, is best for weight control, preventing illnesses and feeling energetic and alive!
TIP: As a rule of thumb, try to avoid processed foods or simply foods that your great-grandmother didn’t use to eat! This ‘primal’ food philosophy will help you dismiss the marketing of dietary misconceptions and rather help you focus on the quality of the food. When available, buying local and organic are your best options!
Mint Basil Market is the perfect place to get started to make adopting a healthier lifestyle easier and more convenient as well.
2. Keep hydrated Being hydrated can have a strong influence on your energy levels and mental alertness amongst other things. Moreover, did you know that we often confuse hunger with thirst, and eat when we’re actually thirsty?
TIP: If you are unsure whether you’re drinking enough water or not, notice the color of your urine. You’d ideally want it to have a pale yellow color throughout the course of the day.
3. Eat mindfully In our fast-paced lives, it’s easy to get distracted and eat mindlessly in front of a TV, or a computer, while multitasking at work, which results in over-eating and missing out on culinary pleasures.
TIP: Avoid eating when distracted, and chew your food! Chewing adds flavor to your food, but it also assists in the digestive process. Eat slowly and take your time with every bite, be aware of the plate and the food that is in front of you.
4. Get your dose of sunshine Sunlight, and vitamin D specifically, is associated with many benefits for your body and soul. Studies have shown that vitamin D increases your energy levels, helps with depression, and improves your immune system. In a nutshell, it has a positive effect on your overall health!
TIP: Try to get some external light during your lunchtime, or on your way back and from work. If possible aim for 30 minutes of sunlight per day.
5. Get enough sleep Optimize your health and energy level with good quality sleep. Try to get between seven to nine hours of sleep to improve the quality of your days.
TIP: One simple strategy that can help ensure you get optimal amounts of sleep is to go to simply go to bed earlier! Create a routine for yourself by holding yourself accountable and setting a reminder to get into bed by 10.00 PM or 10.30 PM.
6. Stay active Walking regularly and keeping the body moving is associated with a variety of benefits for both the physical body and the mind. From anti-anxiety to mood-enhancing effects, simply getting the blood circulation flowing will enable you to create a better day for yourself.
TIP: Try to aim for about 30 minutes of brisk walking every day, or any other type of physical activity you enjoy!
Tara Achkar is a certified Health & Nutrition Coach from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. Her true passion is to empower people to overcome their health issues so they are free to experience and enjoy the life that they seek. She takes a holistic approach and goes deep into the healing journey by investigating the root underlying cause of her clients' health concerns and by empowering their body and mind.